FAQ’s & Technical Information
Frequently Asked Questions
How are penetrating oil stains different from the products I find at my local home store?
Penetrating oil stains work by staining and sealing the wood 100% below the surface of the wood. They leave no coating, film or build-up on the surface, and will never flake, peel or chip.
Does Baker’s Gray-Away have to be stripped before re-application like other stains?
Absolutely not! Baker’s Gray Away is a professional grade product that offers both superior results and extremely easy maintenance.
How long will Baker’s stains last? The last stain I bought claimed to have a 7 year warranty, but failed after one year.
If properly applied, Baker’s Gray-Away will typically last 3-5 years on fences and 2-3 years on decks.
Mix product thoroughly with drill and squirrel mixer. Baker’s Gray Away Wood Seal is a high solids product that must be blended thoroughly to ensure the even coloration and maximum wood protection. Do not apply if temperature is below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Apply heavy saturated first coat to entire surface. Do not allow to puddle or pool. Work puddles and less absorbent areas with a deck stain brush. Allow stain to penetrate until few wet areas are visible. Apply lighter second coat to entire surface. Work product into surface with brush, finishing with the grain of the wood and removing footprints as you work backwards. Do not leave any puddles or pools. Allow the product to penetrate for 15 minutes. On less absorbent woods such as cedar or new pine, wipe off all excess un-absorbed product. Allow to dry 48 hours before traffic.
Decks (hand brushing)
If applying by hand with a brush, roller, etc., progress will likely be much slower than if spraying. With this method, puddles are also much less likely. When hand brushing, it is usually better to divide the deck into sections and finish a section completely before moving on. Remember two coats are needed and you should never allow more than one hour between coats. Allow second coat to penetrate the wood for 15 minutes. On less absorbent woods such as cedar or new pine, wipe off all excess un-absorbed product. Allow to dry 48 hours before traffic.
Apply heavily saturated first coat to entire surface. Allow stain to penetrate until no wet areas are visible. Apply second lighter coat to entire surface. If using a commercial sprayer, apply two light coats with low pressure. If applied with our professional sprayer, apply one heavy coat.
Fences (hand brushing)
If applying by hand with a brush, roller, etc., progress will be likely be much slower than if spraying. When hand brushing, it is usually better to divide the deck into sections and finish a section completely before moving on. Remember two coats are needed and you should never allow more than one hour between coats.
- Landscaping, plants and vegetation: Plants, flowers and grass can be protected by wetting them thoroughly with water before, during and after the cleaning and staining processes. Whenever possible, always cover landscaping, vegetation and other items are not intended to be stained.
- Concrete: Concrete, stone and brick sidewalks, patios, driveways, etc., can be protected by thoroughly wetting them before, during, and after application. DO NOT ALLOW SURFACE TO DRY DURING APPLICATION. If the surface remains wet, drips and over spray will float on the water and can be rinsed clean. After application, rinse thoroughly. If oil or pigment is still present, scrub thoroughly with a degreaser suitable for the substrate you are cleaning. Rinse thoroughly again.
- Direct sunlight: Direct sunlight will cause product to penetrate deeper and faster than wanted. This will often result in lighter color than desired. To counteract the rapid penetration, in sunny areas allow more time between coats. This will allow the first coat to being to “set up” and slow the penetration. Coats need to be applied wet on wet.
The natural wood look requires scheduled maintenance. Once properly applied, Baker’s Gray Away Wood Seal will need a light cleaning and maintenance coat every 2-3 years on decks and every 4-5 years on fences. Routine and maintenance cleaning should be done with a weak percarbonate cleaner or weak bleach water solution. Before re-application of stain, be sure to neutralize and balance the pH after cleaning with an acidic brightener. Brightener is not required for periodic cleaning unless stain is being re-applied. Never clean with a degreaser as it may remove the protective oils in the sealer.
Satisfaction Guarantee: If not satisfied with product performance when applied according to manufacturer’s directions, additional product will be provided. Product replacement is the sole and exclusive remedy.
Directions for use: (see specific application instructions above)It is a violation of Federal law to use this product inconsistent with its labeling. This product is for exterior use only on rough sawn cedar, wood shakes and shingles, fences, decks and siding. This product is not intended for use in direct contact with soil. Baker’s Gray Away Wood Seal is not intended for the control termites or other wood destroying insects.
Substrates: All clean, dry and porous wood surfaces. Due to variation of base wood colors, finished color may vary from desired results. Check color by applying sample of product to determine desired effect. CLEAR SEALER DOES NOT PREVENT NATURAL GRAYING.
Coverage rates are approximate and will vary depending on wood porosity. Coverage rates based on two coat application. Apply second coat wet-on-wet. Do not allow to dry between coats.
- Cedar: 150 – 200 sq. ft. / gallon
- New Pine: 150 – 200 sq. ft. / gallon
- Weathered Pine: 80 – 100 sq. ft. / gallon
Methods of Application
Apply two coats with low pressure sprayer, brush, roller or applicator pad.
Handling & Storage
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Do not eat, drink or smoke while using or handling. Keep away from heat, flame and spark. Avoid contact with skin. Use only with adequate ventilation. Avoid breathing vapors and/or spray mist. Use hand, eye, body and respiratory protection (NIOSH/MSHA TC23C or equivalent). Store in cool, dry location out of direct sunlight. Do not expose this product to excessive heat. Close container after every use.
Do not contaminate water, soil, food or feed by storage or disposal. Product and wastes resulting from the use of this product must be disposed of according to federal, state and local regulations.
- Inhalation: Move to fresh air. Restore breathing if necessary. Call physician immediately.
- Eyes: Flush eyes with clean water for at least 15 minutes. Call physician immediately.
- Skin: remove contaminated clothing. Wash skin with mild soap for at least 15 minutes. If irritation persists, call physician.
- Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. Call physician or poison control center immediately.
Notice: Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage. Intentional misuse by
deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents may be harmful or fatal.
For further information and technical assistance, contact:
TWP COATINGS, INC.
PO BOX 8602151108
Summit Ave 9
Plano, TX 75074